Saturday, June 9, 2012

Lunacy ex StarCruiser.





The wonderful exploit of the 16 year old Jessica Watson going around the world solo; more recently, the Laura Dekker story, and so many others reminds me of  my own desire at their age to do the same. Of course, it never happened.  But the next best thing is to have many Tanton's designed boats to make the  trip of a life time. One of them is the StarCruiser. Now named Lunacy, the owner of a few years is Charles Doane, an editor for Sail Magazine. I found interesting his own blog, by the many different segments of articles and the fact that Charles really knows about boats!
www.wavetrain.net/the-lunacy-report




A little side story:


The boat was built in Canada. On an inspection trip, while the boat was being built, I arrived at the Canadian border coming from New-York State. The Custom Officer asked me what I had in this copper tube looking like a bazooka in the back of the car. I said " A roll of plans for a boat I am having built in Kingston, Ontario and that I am the yacht architect. Looking suspiciously at the large scale drawings, he raised his voice with authority  to say: " How come for a boat build in Canada the boat building company is not using  a Canadian Architect? " Of course, I had no answer to this question, nor would I know how to give an explanation about International Trade to a Custom Officer who should know better. He added: " You have to leave the drawings here, you can pick them on your way back."
Dumbfounded silence followed. I was on my way.
Fortunately, I had sent a set of the plans by regular mail and they where at the Metal Craft facility when I arrived. You never know about boats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tanton Yacht Design is 50 years old!

  Very hard to believe.  - From being 27 years old to now and to the future. - Making me, in my field one of the oldest Design Firm in Ameri...