Friday, July 20, 2018

In Time; my office for 40 years.






- C'est l'histoire de mon bureau a Newport R.I , USA.
I had offices in town before, but...

- Everything has an end and in this case a new beginning. After almost 40 years, President Carter and I are parting away. By this I mean I moved inside the Main Post Office at Newport for my new office to be, when President Jimmy Carter moved into the Whitehouse; that is a long time!

- This corner of America's Cup, Thames street, and the Memorial Boulevard is the location of a beautiful building from 1916. A small plaque acknowledges the dedication.
William McAdoo. Secretary of the Treasury. (sounds like a commercial for E-Trade 2018, but I digress).
-James A. Wetmore.
Acting Supervising Architect 1916.
Maybe it was mean to be for another Architect of a different kind.

- For me, the way to move into there happened when the Founder of the Yachting Museum mentioned that he was moving out of the building to relocate at the Museum site at Fort Adams.
People had no idea that rental spaces were available. So I moved in. At first sharing with another Frenchman, Bertrand Dumont a large space on the third floor. Then moved downstairs, on my own to the vacant office left by T. Benson.

-  My neighbors at the time, in this fully Federal Building where the location of NOOA; F.B.I, I think C.I.A and US. Customs handled by Mr. Monk. A legend in himself. I have stories about all the above.

- Well, from my Ivory Tower I had the privilege to be involved with the best to help me in some busy times.

-Steve Baker, a wonderful person, and friend. Loyal, and a good engineer, yacht designer, and a drafting maestro; when you had to have the Talent to design boats; in other words, before computers.
Steve, on top of his above natural qualities, got me going on the "new" Computer World about 30 years ago.

- Jeremy Mc Geary. "Mac". I first met Jeremy when he was hired for my new venture at the time; "Branton Yachts" to build wooden I.O.R racers. The first one being a Two Tonner called "Black Gold" and a few others. Much later on, after a stint in England, as the head designer for C&N, he came back to the US. (to be continued). See on this Blog: Jeremy McGeary R.I.P.

- Pictures of the new office. (minus the hard floor to be laid).




- Fore and aft as they say.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for share your blog. Really very nice blog. Get a feel of the market, what are the expenses for the trips and book one that is most cost-effective. Before reserving an Expedition yacht trip, check what are the touring that contains your way and what are the features provided by the yachting team.

    Expedition yacht

    ReplyDelete

Tanton Yacht Design is 50 years old!

  Very hard to believe.  - From being 27 years old to now and to the future. - Making me, in my field one of the oldest Design Firm in Ameri...