Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Garvey ? Well sort of..



- When a prominent Builder of aluminum boats asked me to design a flat bottom skiff to present for a bid to what I assume is a Government contract, I scratched my head. Flat bottom? I think there are better ways to go but it presented a challenge, and I am not one to refuse competition.




- Specifications: 20Ft. Flat bottom. 8Ft. Beam.
Bow deck; bow gate; self-bailing deck; bow steps; black fendering; steering console aft; fuel tank storage below; 90hp Yanmar. Trailer.


- What is a Garvey hull? A modified Scow with some deadrise in the bow and a flat, or near the flat bottom as you near the stern. They are workboats, relatively light, and with plenty of volume stability inherited by shape.

- I drew the Lines Plan with convex sections, narrowing the waterline forward while maintaining the width of the deck for the purpose of the ramp and gate. The rest is straightforward and adheres to the spirit of the specifications.

(to be continued).
- Who is Garvey ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tanton Yacht Design is 50 years old!

  Very hard to believe.  - From being 27 years old to now, and to the future. - Making, in my field one of the oldest Design Firm in America...